Sunday 2 January 2011

Skivo's Verdict On The Plymouth Game

Yeovil Town manager Terry Skiverton spoke to local journalist Chris Spittles in an interview for BBC Somerset broadcast after the 0-0 draw at Plymouth Argyle on January 1st 2011.

CS: Terry, with the missed penalty, is that a missed opportunity to gain three points?

TS: No, not really. They came out in the second half and put us under pressure and we had to withstand that. The positive thing for our football club is that in the League now that's two clean sheets. I think you can see the difference in the team with Paul Wotton in getting him in. I thought the centre-half Max Ehmer was excellent today as well. I felt we defended excellently in the second half, and that's the best game I've seen Smithy play in a long time. That really kept us in the game.

I think in the first half we should have been home and dry with (Paul) Huntington if he'd kept his header down a bit and put them under a bit more pressure. I think Andy Williams should have done better with a cut-back, and also with the penalty (taken by Sam Williams) as well. But Sam (Williams) has been putting them away in training. If you go 2-0 up, then the problem is that they would probably have put us back to 2-2!

But two clean sheets on the bounce in the league is excellent for us, and I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think we've come off the bottom - is that right? So for us, it's a massive step. To come to Plymouth is a difficult place and they're a massive club. The good thing that is in my head is that it is a good game for me as I can't ever remember being beaten by Plymouth. There was that famous cup game that we played, and then today as manager I was really pleased with that performance and the character that we showed.

CS: With the penalty, Andy Welsh and Sam Williams seemed to be having a discussion over who was taking it. Had that not been decided before the game?

TS: No, not really. The problem is that when you have penalties before, where people take them and someone has missed them, it sort of goes unsung a little bit. I like to go on the thing that if someone fancies it, then they go and take it. Ideally, I would have liked him (Paul Wotton) to take it because I can't remember him missing any.

CS: That's Paul Wotton?

TS: Yes, that's right. But these things happen. He's come in quite blind, and perhaps he might be on the next one.

CS: So the two signings that you have brought in today have made a positive impact. Going forward over the next few weeks, that's going to make you stronger.

TS: Yes, and there's going to be maybe one or two more coming in, to be honest with you. We've done a deal, and we've got to wait now, because another keeper will be coming in. John Sullivan has been brilliant for me and I thought he was excellent today. But that is coming to its end. We'll be having someone fresh coming in. Also, I'm looking at a striker and maybe someone else as well. We've definitely got to look in that area, because with the amount of chances that we are creating, I think we need a bit of help up there. But I thought the strikers worked very hard today. With Andy Williams up top, that's the first time we've had a chance to see him up there and I thought that he caused their defenders all sorts of problems with his pace, his movement and his directness. I thought the referee (Brendan Malone) was excellent today, but there was one time where Andy had got away from the defender, and he got pulled back a bit, and he blew up rather than play the advantage and I think that if he had given the advantage then Andy would have got a shot off. It's a hard job, and I'll say again that he (Brendan Malone) was excellent, but in those situations you may the advantage, or if it's a goalscoring opportunity then send him off, although he was a bit wide.

CS: So the goalkeeper will be coming in, in time for next Saturday, for the Brentford game?

TS: I hope so, yes.

CS: Speculation has been that Stephen Henderson will be coming back to Huish Park. Is he in?

TS: Well, you're pushing me on this one. We've had a chat, and anything can happen. He's still their player, but there are advanced discussions, a deal has been agreed, but touchwood, nothing happens to one of their two keepers in the next one or two games. Every time I'm going onto their website to make sure that (David) James or (Dean) Gerken hasn't gone down with anything!

CS: And on the striker, is it one particular player that you've got in mind, and are you close with that particular player?

TS: I'm close with that one, but again anything can happen. I think that with the two that we've brought in, they have really added to the team. I don't mean the squad - I mean the team. I'm looking for someone that comes into the team as well, with a little bit of experience, that can take chances, and where it adds that real competition to the players that we have got. I feel now in midfield we have got great competition. I think that at the back we have got good competition when (Adam) Virgo comes back, and I want to have that and make sure that we have got that competition in the striking areas. All good teams are built on a platform of having four good strikers to bring on, and I'm no different.

No comments:

Post a Comment