Sunday 17 October 2010

Skivo's Verdict On The Sheffield Wednesday Game

Yeovil Town manager Terry Skiverton spoke to BBC Bristol reporter Ed Hadwin after his side had lost 0-2 at home against Sheffield Wednesday on October 16th 2010.

EH: Terry, I don't think you could have done much more in your efforts to win that game.

TS: No, I don't think we could. As you can tell, I'm a bit hoarse. I think we had 60:40 in possession. I think we had double the chances and double the corners. It just shows you that they had the likes of Jermaine Johnson to bring on, who we had on loan funnily enough, and it's shocking that he's come back to haunt us. But both goals came from something that we've been working a lot on, which is to not show people inside (from the wings), especially on their strong foot. I felt that both goals caused us problems by doing that.

But on the positives, I thought that our performance today was magnificent. We more than matched them. I think the main talking point of the game was that I feel there should have been a sending off for a stamping. But I don't want to talk about it any more, and I don't want to talk about the referee. The goals that they did take were very good, but for me there are turning points in games and that was massive for us.

But also, we've got to take our chances. It's no good us creating that many chances but not taking them. We have been, and I've got full faith in the people that I'm putting out there, but we just need to get that goal, especially against the bigger teams. We've got to take our opportunities. It's probably similar or exactly the same to what I spoke about before the game, which is that Yeovil huffed'n'puffed but that Sheffield Wednesday won 2-0. That will be the headline tomorrow, where we were trying to create something, trying to go on a run, to try to let people know that we are trying to do something down here. But we have to go back to the drawing board. But we will do so, and we'll keep fighting like we did today.

EH: Particularly after the first 10 minutes when they'd had you under the cosh, the response was exactly what you'd hoped for.

TS: Yes that's right, but they're Sheffield Wednesday. They think that they're going to turn up and just play us off the pitch. For the first 10 minutes, they did. Then we made a minor adjustment and put Sam (Williams) out on the right and put Gav (Williams) in the hole and they couldn't deal with that really. And it's probably a compliment to us that they then changed their shape. So for us, there were more positives out of the game. It's just that it always ends up being that one step too far against the bigger teams. I don't think they played particularly well, but they won the game. So they'll be laughing all the way home on the coach.

EH: I suppose that's the availability that someone who has a lot of money, to have someone like that on the bench and do something like Jermaine Johnson did.

TS: Yes, good luck to them. I don't want to talk about other teams. I want to talk about us and what we did today. I think we gave them more than a game, but it just keeps on going back down to the same thing about is it fair and is it even? There's a gulf between the clubs. I think that Sheffield Wednesday are a good enough side not to be helped out by officials. They're good enough; they don't need a helping hand from anybody else. Obviously I've got to watch what I say, but it's not just happening once, it's happening quite often.

EH: So from your side of things, you had so much possession and so much territory. Is there a slight frustration at the number of really good chances you created?

TS: I wouldn't have said that there were too many gilt-edged chances, but there were a couple cleared off the line and we hit the crossbar and their goalkeeper made a fantastic save. The ball dropped to Dean Bowditch in the box and he skied it over. At the opposite end, apart from their two goals, I can't really remember Stephen Henderson having to make a save. So for us, it's a little bit of a backward step. But we are more than capable of doing something in this league, and we've got to keep believing.

EH: It did look as though the players out there came up against a big team but didn't then go back into their shells. They gave everything out there.

TS: Yes, I think that the supporters that came today could see that and hopefully they can come back for the next game, as we had a very good crowd there today. I think that both teams try to play it the right way and it was just unfortunate that we came out with a defeat. But I saw enough going on there today to give me hope and give me courage to keep going on with that belief that if we keep training that hard during the week and doing loads of stuff in one-v-ones and making it hard for other teams, that this place is not an easy place for other teams to come to and get a victory, no matter who you are.

EH: I'm just wondering if the fixture computer is against you. Every time you get two in a row, they throw up a big team for you.

TS: That's right. But that's the league and I love it. I love being part of this football club. I love the challenge and the players do. That's why they go out and give it their all. We'll keep fighting and we'll keep plugging away. We'll stay strong mentally and physically to make sure that we're definitely punching in this division.

EH: Adam Virgo had to go off before half time. Anything serious?

TS: No, it's just a slight groin (strain). I brought Craig (Alcock) on for him though and Craig has really done his back in now. Craig couldn't move in the second half. We had a few walking wounded, with Gavin Williams again. It's very difficult for him to go into the second half of games, because his ankle keeps swelling up. But they're all out there walking wounded and we keep patching them up and they keep giving them their all.

No comments:

Post a Comment